Thursday, May 9, 2013

Bentley Keith Hall Part 1

This post is going to be more of a journal post for me to remember Bentley's birth story. It might be boring for others to read just to warn you.

Pregnancy:
First of all I decided to go with the midwives instead of an obgyn. I really liked how personal they were and I didn't feel like just another patient. I had a fairly easy pregnancy. I did get really morning sick the first 14 weeks of pregnancy. I only ever threw up about 2-3 days out of the week but I was nauseous all the rest of the time. When I was almost 33 weeks we had a scare and had to go into labor and delivery because I was getting contractions that were too close together so they had to give me a shot to stop them (see the last post) and I didn't have any issues after that.

About three weeks before my due date I went to one of my weekly checkups and had high blood pressure and protein in my urine. They told me I needed to come back the next day to get it checked again to see if it was still happening. When I came in the next day I still had the protein and high blood pressure. They had me do a bunch of blood work and other tests and then I had to come back later that day to get a non-stress test to make sure Bentley was still doing ok. They decided to put me on bedrest and just keep checking me to see if things got worse because at this point my blood pressure was high but it was on the low side of high.

At this point they had me coming in every other day to get checked and do more blood work and non-stress tests. By this point I was just ready for them to induce me because I was so miserable and sick of worrying all the time about whether my high blood pressure was affecting Bentley or not. This kept going on for a while and my blood pressure kept getting higher and higher with each appointment. They stuck me on high blood pressure medication and it made me so sick and didn't help my blood pressure to go down at all. At this point my high blood pressure made me super swollen and I would get headaches all the time. We went into labor and delivery a couple times because my blood pressure would start to get too high. By now the only thing that would make my blood pressure go down was going to be to have the baby. On Monday the 8th of April, I had just gotten some testing done and was at my appointment finding out the results when my midwife, Nicole, walked in and said "How about we have a baby today?"

Labor:

From this point everything went by pretty fast. They sent me straight over to Labor and Delivery to get induced so I didn't even get the chance to go home and get everything. Josh was still at work and they said that inducing me would take a while so he might as well finish off working for the day. My mom stayed with me until he got there. They gave me the first cervadil at 1:30 pm. About two hours later I started feeling it working. At 5:30 they gave me the second cervadil and that's when the labor started. When they gave me the second cervadil I was only dialated to a 1.All of a sudden my contractions started being right on top of each other with no time in between them. They were extremely painful and although I was planning on not having an epidural the dr said if I didn't get an epidural there were chances that my blood pressure would get way too high because of the pain and I could end up with a c-section. Also an epidural was going to be the only thing that would calm down my contractions since the cervadil can make them very strong and painful and right on top of each other like I was experiencing. Josh was such an awesome coach and helped me breath and stay calm through the whole process.

The first epidural they gave me only numbed my right leg and that was it. So while I was still struggling through contractions they had to give me a second one to finally give me some relief. Holy cow was it night and day as soon as that epidural kicked in! The epidural helped my contractions to stabilize, the midwife broke my water and about an hour later I was dilated to a 10 and ready to get this baby out of me. They didn't even have to put me on pitocin which I was happy about.

When she broke my water she noticed that it showed signs that the baby had already had his first bowel movement from the stress of labor. They told us about all the possibilities of what could happen because of this when he was born, including him not breathing because it had gotten into his lungs. This made me want to get him out even faster. I only pushed for less than 20 minutes and our sweet Bentley came at 9:36 pm on Aprile 8, 2013, and he came out crying! Such a relief. Josh got to cut the cord and then they took him over to be weighed and stuff while I got cleaned up.

It was so adorable to watch Josh as they cleaned up our son. He was just beaming from ear to ear and I could tell he was already so in love with him. He weighed 5 lbs 12 oz and was 19 in long. The midwife says she didn't think I could've held a much bigger baby inside of me because I was so small. When the nurses finally brought him back over to me they said he had some petechiae bruising on his face and back but that the dr would look at it the next day so I didn't think anything of it. We were so excited to finally be holding our little man and he was so alert! The first thing I noticed was that he had really big eyes like his mom because he had them wide open the whole time.

Nicole was awesome by the way. She stayed with me through the whole labor and coached me through it. When I needed Josh to be two places at once she would help out and do exactly what I needed to have done. She made the whole experience as comfortable as possible and I am so glad she is the one who was on call when I was induced.  All of the nurses at the hospital were so nice and I felt very well taken care of there.


2 hours old

First family photo about 2 hours after Bentley was born. I am still super swollen.

Mom was so happy to have him here! It was really late so we didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked but we thought we would have the whole next day to take pictures with him. Little did we know....



My awesome midwife Nicole

To be continued in Part 2.....

No comments:

Post a Comment